Technical Director (Part-Time/Temporary)
Edmonds Driftwood Players (EDP) is an award-winning, volunteer-based, 501(c)(3) nonprofit community theatre that has been entertaining, enriching, and engaging the King and Snohomish county communities since 1958, making it one of the oldest continually operating community theatres in Washington State. In November 2018, ARTSWA selected the downtown area of the City of Edmonds as Washington State’s first Certified Creative District, and EDP is proud to be the Certified Creative District’s venue for live theatre. We are seeking a temporary Technical Director to join our small, but mighty team for our November – December 2021 holiday show, It’s A Wonderful Life: A Live Radio Play.
The Technical Director (TD) collaborates with the artistic team of the production and provides technical assistance during performances within the framework of Edmonds Driftwood Players (EDP) requirements, under the supervision of the Managing Director (MD).
- Attend production meetings, technical rehearsals, and performances as technical lead to support lighting, sound design, props, staging and other technical needs for the holiday show.
- Design set (using existing concept), ensuring design meets the budgeting requirements and facility limitations (sightlines, masking, safety).
- Supervise and work with volunteers in all aspects of set construction, technical work, and strike.
- Ensure safe working environment, addressing safety issues and set repairs during run.
- Ensure the booth and stage area is kept clean and organized.
- Work collaboratively, completing other duties as needed and/or assigned.
- Experience as TD in a High School, College or Community/Professional Theatre or venue setting in the areas of design, build, and shop/electrics.
- Enjoy working with people of different experience levels.
- Consistently display the following skills and ability to lead by example: support of others, efficient communication, and collaboration.
- Physical strength and agility to execute items listed in Job Description, including push/pull/lift/carry up to 50 pounds.
- Recording/streaming experience, in case live performances are reduced or cancelled.
- Temporary, part-time, non-exempt employee. This position is intended to cover our holiday show. Potential for future hire with temporary or regular status, evaluating needs as COVID conditions change.
- Schedule: Average 25 hours per week, mostly evenings and weekends. Must be able to cover Tech Week (November 13-18, 2021) and performances for run of holiday show (November 19-December 19, 2021). Performances are Thursday through Saturday evenings, and Sunday matinees; no Thanksgiving performance. There is a possibility in-person performances will be reduced or cancelled in favor of streaming a recorded performance.
- Pay: $25.00 per hour
Please submit a cover letter and resume to [email protected] to be considered for this position. References and any samples of previous work would be appreciated.
We regularly seek experienced directors for our Mainstage productions and Annual Festival of Shorts. Sign up to receive notification of our call for directors.
Our Annual Festival of Shorts is a great way for playwrights to present work to an enthusiastic audience. Hundreds of playwrights submit their plays and eight scripts are chosen to be performed over the highly popular weekend-long festival. Sign up to receive notification when we post our call for unpublished short (10-minutes) scripts.
THANK YOU TO OUR SEASON SPONSORS